December was another busy one for me, as I’m sure it was for you too!
Between work, getting ready for Christmas, Christmas parties, my mum visiting, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and of course The Last Jedi release, there wasn’t much time for anything else. It really didn’t help that both Theo and I both hurt out feet this month too, he had to be medicated and coned for a few weeks, while I was out of action for a few days too, I’m just grateful that mine happened after Christmas…
1. Same as everyone else in the lead up to Christmas, I went shopping!
Generally, I try to get everything I need beforehand, and I do most of my Christmas shopping online, so that I can avoid the insanity of the major shopping centres. Unfortunately, I decided to quickly run into the largest shopping centre in Perth’s Northern suburbs, Lakeside. It was still three weeks out from Christmas, so I thought I’d be safe, I thought wrong. I swear people become possessed around Christmas time, they are completely different! That being said, the actual shopping was quite successful… I ducked into Mecca, grabbed a new setting spray for myself and got a Christmas present for one of my friends, I also went to Lush and picked up the Metamorphosis bath bomb, which I have wanted for absolutely ages, but it was always sold out. I also got some new bather bottoms, ready for summer, and a new laptop in the pre-Christmas sales as mine had recently died… I bought all the fun stuff!
2. After that shopping trip, where I bought my very last present, I quickly wrapped everything and set up the tree, placing the gifts beneath. I adore making gifts look as attractive as possible, I always choose a theme each year and colour code my gifts to match, I am also a firm believer of decorative ribbon, I think it just takes your gifts to that next level.
3. Summer is here, and so is the ice-cream! My boss brought the new Unicorn Gaytimes in at work because I was saying how awesome they looked, and how I hadn’t tried one yet… They are bloody good, and it’s dangerous that we now have them at work!
4. Pot It Like It’s Hot had their annual pre-Christmas Home Open, and, same as last year, I went along… This year however, I was lucky enough to receive a $100 gift voucher to use on her products which I won on a competition Jess ran through Instagram! There were so many lovely products to look at and choose from, but in the end, I walked out with a large mixed succulent, marble concrete pot, and a lovely dipped marble hanging pot with a runner succulent inside. I was intending to spend the voucher on gifts for Christmas, but I just couldn’t give them away and I had to keep both plants for myself!
5. In November I mentioned that I picked up a stuffed toy from the thrift store for the boys, and Kody also won me a stuffed snake toy at the Wanneroo Show. I’m happy to announce that both toys were well received by the pups, and they have become favourites within the toy basket!
6. Of course, December saw the release of the next instalment of the Star Wars Saga, the highly anticipated film, The Last Jedi. As has been our tradition with the previous two Star Wars movies, The Force Awakens (I dressed up as R2-D2 for this one!) and Rouge One, Kody and I attended a midnight screening for The Last Jedi. Of course, with any franchise as large as Star Wars there were a few continuity errors within the film, but all up it was incredibly enjoyable!
7. I got my old Elna out this December, and started to practice sewing again. I created another twelve reversible pet bandanas out of this gorgeous red and green Christmas fabric, and one (still unfinished) puppy bow! I kept two for my boys, handed out eight at my Christmas Puppy Play Date, and two smaller (6″X6″) bandanas for a friend at work, and a regular customer who always shows us pictures of his new puppy, Luigi!
8. Speaking of the Christmas Puppy Play Date…
This December’s monthly play date was Christmas themed, and all attending pups had to be dressed in their finest Christmas attire! It was adorable and hilarious! I had to attach Charlies harness over his reindeer costume to stop it falling off, and Theo’s reindeer antlers kept falling around his neck and he would trip up on them, in the end he was excused from wearing his full costume until the group photo. It wasn’t just costumes that gave this play date a Christmas vibe, but each dog had to also bring a $10 Kris Kringle gift, they were all placed in a large bag, and everyone took turns at pulling one out. The boys were utterly exhausted afterwards, and I honestly think they had an amazing time!
9. This month Kody’s brother got back from his international volunteer trip, where he spent two weeks working on Elephant sanctuaries. He brought us back this gorgeous little elephant figurine as a souvenir, and he even had it blessed by Cambodian Buddhist Monks to bring good fortune to my home.
10. It wouldn’t be December without Christmas Parties!
Another year down and another Christmas staff party dusted… Unfortunately, it was held on an unusually cold day in December, and there was even a touch of rain in the evening, but that didn’t put a dampener on our festive spirits! There was plenty of wine, a delicious buffet (I may have even gone up for a second plate filled entirely with Christmas ham and turkey), a photo booth, awards, music and a little dancing too!
11. Sadly Rodger the Bunny Eared Cactus came to his demise this December. I think I was over compensating for the scorching weather and I over watered him to death! Sad, very sad… RIP Rodger.
Thankfully, all Rodgers pads fell off just before he died, and I have transplanted them, hoping that they will take root and propagate, only time will know now…
12. We took Badger (the foster pup that my sister now owns) to Bunning’s for the first time this month! Keeping to Bunning’s rules we restrained him in a shopping cart, and he actually did very well with this new experience, taking everything in his stride.
I still just can’t get over his freakishly long tongue though!! The vet said he would grow into it when he was only 3 weeks old, I guess not, because it’s just getting bigger as he does! LOL
13. Kody and I hosted our very first Christmas in 2017! Although we were in this house for Christmas 2016 we were far too chicken to actually host anyone! This year we took it upon ourselves to host my immediate family… Although it was only six in total it was still a lot of work and preparation, and I think I cheated a little as I had my mum staying with me and I utilised her help in the kitchen!
All in all, everything was delicious, and the highlight of the meal was definitely Kody’s Whiskey Maple Glazed Christmas Ham cooked on the barbecue!
14. On Christmas night, after dinner my family and I spent about an hour icing the three batches of gingerbread that I had baked the day before. I forgot that I only had yellow and green icing colours, and because it was a family effort they don’t all look very uniform (or even good LOL), some of us thought we were making gingerbread reindeer, and others thought the same shapes were gingerbread men… so it was a bit chaotic, but it still tasted delicious and there was enough for everyone to take some home!
(I even threw a few Wookie Cookies in the mix just for Kody!)
15. Towards the end of the month I stubbed my toe hella’ bad. We were worried it was broken when we saw how quickly it started to swell and turn purple, thankfully the pain and swelling only lasted for a few days, and I’m back to normal now, so honestly, I can’t confirm whether it was or wasn’t broken in the end…
16. A regular customer at work brought his brand-new puppy into my workplace for us girls to fawn over. Luigi is the gorgeous little Goldie puppy who I gave a mini Christmas bandana to. He was actually wearing the bandana on this day, but you can’t see it due to the way I’m holding him and smothering him with cuddles! Puppies are honestly my life!
17. While clearing down the back patio for the ant exterminator we found this pretty guy just chilling. We decided that ant pesticide wouldn’t be beneficial to his health, so we moved him to a tree further away from the spray site. Just after we moved him we found his sibling/friend/soulmate, and decided to move them along too! Geckos are just too gorgeous!
What did you get up to last month?
How was your Christmas and New Year’s Eve?
Did you see the new year in in style?
Thanks for stopping by.